Community Gardens Receive Funding
Nine Gardens Funded at Churches, Schools, and Neighborhoods
Get Up & Go! awarded nine Healthy Community grants to fund new and existing community gardens in St. Clair County. Gardens were awarded between $250 and $1,000 depending on the size and scope of the project. Henry Raab Elementary School in Belleville received $250 to assist with planning their new garden.
New gardens were funded at:
- St. John United Church of Christ in Fairview Heights
- Leu Civic Center in Mascoutah
- Smithton Community Garden in Smithton
- Community Performance Ensemble at Old Morrison School in East St. Louis
- Henry Raab Elementary School in Belleville
Existing gardens were funded at:
- Lebanon Garden Club in Lebanon
- Westminster Presbyterian Church in Belleville
- O'Fallon Garden Club in O'Fallon
- Zion Lutheran Church & School in Belleville
Community gardens are essential in healthy communities – they provide access to fresh fruits and vegetables and encourage gardeners to stay active. The gardens’ progress and photos will be posted to www.getupgo.info through the end of the growing season.
Get Up & Go! is dedicated to promoting the health of all St. Clair County residents by encouraging healthy eating and active living.
If you’d like more information, or to schedule an interview with Cheryl Singsank, Board President, please call her at (618) 960-7377 or email at email@example.com