School: Signal Hill School
District District #181
40 Signal Hill Place
Belleville, IL 62223
Chairperson: Kim Pryor
- Write a K-12 comprehensive health curriculum.
- Implement nutrition education.
- Health professionals brough in for education.
- Health topics for parents.
- Health topics for staff and faculty.
- CATCH fitness activities.
- PBIS program
- Fitness/Strrength training curriculum
- Walk/Talk program
- Family Fun Night
- SIUE Education programs
- CATCH Go, Slow, Whoa foods promotion
- Attendance rewards
- Character Building
- Our school social worker is a very important role in our school.
- Safe Routes to School
- Walk and Talk program
- The comprehensive health curriculum will follow the IL health goals and standards, to be implemented during the 2014-15 school year.
- We started promoting Go,Slow,Whoa foods through the CATCH program in the Fall of 2013.
- In the Fall of 2013, we had the SIUE Dental School do a presentation on dental health, SIUE School of Pharmacy implement a drug awareness program, and held a full day conference on various health topics to the jr. high students.
- During the winter of 2014, we will hold parent meetings on various topics.
- During the 2014-15 school year we will implement WED/CPR training.
- In October 2013, we added a CATCH fitness activity/component to improve fitness levels in PE classes.
- In the Fall of 2013, we coordinated our PBIS program to include physical activity awards (skating day, rec day, day at the park, etc.)
- Fall 2014, we will purchase PE equipment with grant money.
- in the Winter of 2014, we will do biometrics for the 6th grade class.
- During the 2014-15 school year, on friday mornings, students, staff, and parents will be encouraged to walk together 1 minutes before school starts.
- The 8th grade parents and students will verse eachother in a volleyball game.
- In the Winter of 2014, the SIUE Dental School and School of Pharmacy will do presentations on dental health and drug awareness.
- In the Fall of 2013, we had health food in the cafeteria during the Open House, with healthy food people could sample.
- During the 2013-14 school year the principal started giving out fresh fruit to students with good attendance.
- In the Winter of 2014, we want to start "Character" buddies. This program will allow older students to educate younger students about nutrition. they will be making posters to hang in the cafeteria.
- During the Spring 2014 Y-Day, we will have a presenter on nutrition and exercise for the Jr. High students.
- In 2013, our social worker became a member of our wellness team, taught leadership and character building to the jr. high students, and holds parent meetings during the evenings to educate parents and students on various health topics.
- We started implementing the Safe Routes to School program in the Fall of 2013. This program helped implement a Bike to School Day and Walk to School Day. It also helped us add pedestrian crossings in front of the school, connected a bike/walking trail to our school, and reorganized the way we handle parking lot traffic and door security.
- Our Walk and Talk program has encouraged our faculty and staff to walk in the morning.
We implemented a policy change on the type of food/snacks parents may send to the classrooms for birthdays, parties, and special occasions. We sent out a letter with suggestions of healthy snacks instead of sugary treats to promote wellness/nutrition education.